50 Years of New Frontiers: SOA at 50
Society of Ohio Archivists Annual Meeting
Friday, May 18, 2018
To be held at the Quest Business and Conference Center, 8405 Pulsar Place, Columbus, OH 43240.
Deadline to submit proposals: Monday, January 8, 2018, 5 p.m.
The SOA 2018 Program Committee seeks a broad array of creative proposals, sessions and posters, related to archival work today and into the future. All proposal topics are welcome.
Possible ideas include, but are not limited to:
- Presentations or discussions of longstanding institutional projects or collections in accordance with the ‘50 year anniversary’ theme
- Tools for archival discovery, maintenance, and/or marketing
- Outreach and instruction efforts
- Student, intern, and volunteer experiences and projects
- Unique collection development ventures
- Preservation, description, and access to analog, born-digital, or hybrid collections
- Panel Sessions – Two to four speakers present on a common theme.
- Poster Presentations – Report in which information is summarized using brief written statements and graphic materials, such as photographs, charts, graphs, and/or diagrams mounted on poster board. Presenters will be assigned a specific time at which they must be with their poster to discuss it with attendees.
- Debate – Moderator announces the topic, and two other people debate. May include more than one topic and additional debaters.
- Fishbowl – Speakers sit in a circle of chairs on stage — the bowl—and the audience sits in concentric circles around them. The speakers are then asked to talk to each other by answering a series of directed questions. In an open fishbowl, one chair is left empty and audience members can rotate through, adding their take on the topic.
- Lightning – Presentations may be from 3 to 10 minutes long, with the time allotted depending on the number of presenters. May or may not include slides or images.
- Mini-Workshop – session teaching a skill or concept through hands-on activity.
- Pecha Kucha – Each presentation consists of 20 slides or images displayed for 20 seconds each, with comment. Each presentation lasts 6 minutes and 40 seconds.
- World Café – consists of multiple presentations/conversations going on at separate tables, with attendees given the opportunity to rotate between them every 20 minutes.
- Other session formats that encourage interaction between presenters and attendees
All sessions will have an assigned member of the Program Committee to provide introductions, and, as needed, to moderate.
- Session title and intended format
- 250-word abstract describing the session/poster and how it will be of interest to SOA attendees
- 150-words session description for use in the printed program
- Main contact’s information and any other participants
- A/V or technology requirements
- Any additional special needs
Proposals will be evaluated on clarity, originality, diversity of content and speaker representation, and completeness of proposal and presenters. We encourage proposals from students*, new professionals*, first time presenters and attendees, as well as individuals from related professions, including those from outside of Ohio.
Please complete the proposal form by Monday, January 8, 2017, 5 p.m. at https://goo.gl/forms/mC1m8d2rr5XqrGcD2
More meeting details will appear as they develop at: http://www.ohioarchivists.org/annual_conference/
Questions? Please contact:
Stacey Lavender (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Collette McDonough (email@example.com)
Cochairs, Society of Ohio Archivists Educational Programming Committee